1882: Salt Lake City

February 1882

After a so-so breakfast at the station [in Dillon, Montana], for which I pay 75 cents, I can finally take the ongoing train at 9:40 of the Utah & Northern Rail Road. The weather had become very nice in the meantime. In the state of Idaho much snow coveres the rocky heights. After 22 hours on the train I reach, slightly tired, around 8 o clock in the morning, Ogden. Instead of continuing eastbound, I decide for a short visit to Salt Lake City, which I should nopt regret.

Salt Lake City 1882. Image courtesy of Daughters of Utah Pioneers. Contact DUP Photo Department, for permission to use DUP images.
Salt Lake City 1882.
Image courtesy of Daughters of Utah Pioneers. Contact DUP Photo Department, for permission to use DUP images.

The capital of the mormons counts as one of the most beatiful cities of the western America, she has well-proportioned wide streets, enlived by horse trains, some are crossed by creeks, which reminds me of Mühlhausen in Thuringia. In the north and east, the city is sourrounded by very high mountains, the Wahsatch Mountains. I took a room in the Walker House and had some lunch, but in the afternoon I switched to the Valley House, whose former owner, a Dane, held my name, which the head waiter told me when I registered. Soon I was looking for my namesake and shook his hands with the words „I want to see the man who bears my name“. He was a Mormon and disadviced me to stay if I would not become a Mormon – which was not my plan anyway.

Then I visited the Tabernacle and the Temple of the Mormons. The former is a large egg-shaped building of 250 feet lenght, 150 feet width and 66 feet height. From a certain point in the middle of the building, the focus point of one of the ellipses, I was able to hear every whispering in the church. The tabernacle is only used in the summer and can host 8000 people. I visited a German brewery, which refreshed me with good beer at moderate prices. Here I ordered a spot on the North German Lloyd steamship leaving to Germany on the 18th of February on a postcard – this should become significant for the crossing. The next day, 5th of February, was a sunday. In the Valley house, I had payed 1,5 dollars for dinner, room and breakfast and I was happy with everything.

Already at 7 o’clock in the morning I returned to Ogden. There, I found my luggage which I had left without any surveillance in the corner of the waiting hall. My trust in the honesty in the people of the west was justified, I would not have dared this unconcern in any bigger city of the east.

I found the pictures in this article at the Daugthers of the Utah Pioneers Museum in Salt Lake City.
Webseite: isdup.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *